Friday, January 6, 2012

JBoss Vs WebLogic

---------------------------------

If going for a application which requires high end clustering env, scalability , more concurrent users go for Weblogic If you want to save huge amount of money(JBoss is freeware) and if the no of users are less, then prefer JBOSS. If concurrent hitting is very huge( say more than 100 concurrent users. PLS note that Concurrent users is diff to normal no of users) prefer Weblogic .

--------------------------------

I have worked with both Weblogic and JBoss. App servers are comparable in their core features such as EJB Container, TX management, Pooling e.t.c. Of course Weblogic is a leader in TX management from the Tuxedo days. Coming to the point, JBoss is a good app server if you are going to use the core features. Iam currently working on an engagement where we have deployed 6 business critical applications in a load-balanced setup. It has been quite stable. Our client has procured JBoss support. The premier support costs 40K USD annually (quite a bit!). Support has been quite good though. You may opt for support with lower SLA and lower cost though. JBoss startup time is quite small (around 25 seconds) for a medium sized application. The Eclipse plug-in for JBoss is quite good as well, permitting run time debugging as well. Overall, JBoss is good even if you want to scale upto 100 concurrent users. Of course it depends on your architecture. We, for instance, have kept our application framework entirely stateless using SOA principles, thereby permitting immense horizontal scalability.

------------------------------------

I am a long time java developer on JBoss(and Tomcat). In the last year I had to develop over weblogic and I have to say - I really miss JBoss.

Since my experience with weblogic is pretty shallow, I am asking the more experienced guys out there: Is there a reason for spending money on weblogic? Isn't JBoss giving you all that you need?

I suspect the reason Weblogic gets chosen is a pleasant sales person comes to visit a manager with money to spend, gives him the sales pitch and hey-presto, the company is using Weblogic. I don't know if the JBoss support contract comes with a sales force, but would be surprised if it did and that the playing field has leveled in that respect.

In my experience, other than the pretty console you get with Weblogic (which isn't worth forking out the license fees for) there's not much between the 2. I suspect these days JBoss has market share (just guessing that), which in my book that translates into more help available online, etc when you're stuck on something.

It's also worth considering that the Weblogic licenses (last time I saw them) where the usual server-side terms - per-processor, per-box, etc. This will limit you in scalability terms because with JBoss you can keep adding hardware without occurring extra cost, while with Weblogic your licenses will need upgrading too.

Whichever you choose you're going to be able to build your system on top of them without too much trouble, but my preference would be JBoss.

---------------------------------


I really like WebLogic. I'll suspend the licensing cost for the moment and just say that in their heyday they were the best Java EE app server on the market, hands down. BEA had a lot of extremely talented people developing their code, and it showed. If money was not part of the equation, and I had an employer that insisted on spending money that wasn't mine, I'd still choose WebLogic over WebSphere or JBOSS or Glassfish or anything else on the market.

I'm saddened by Oracle's purchase. I think that the talent has leaked away, and Oracle has no clear idea of what they want to do with WebLogic. They've been stuck on version 10.1 for a few years now.

Glassfish sounds like it's a much better effort from Sun, but their history says they write great standards and lousy implementations. I don't consider Glassfish to be a viable alternative.

WebSphere is a typical IBM project: twice the cost, half the functionality, poor documentation, and you have to buy all their nonsense (e.g., Eclipse based IDEs) to use it.

JBOSS isn't bad, but only because the price difference is so strongly in its favor.

I'd rather recommend Spring, Tomcat and ActiveMQ as an excellent alternative. If EJBs are absolutely required, add OpenEJB to that mix.

-------------------------------

i had worked on jboss for a year and on weblogic for more than a year now, my experience with the web logic is good compared to jboss as weblogic is more stable and robust, it can handle more than 3000 concurrent requests without throwing a single exception where jboss failed to do sooo and admin console for the weblogic is excellent but i think weblogic is more complex then jboss...as far as client is investing money on application server my choice will be weblogic for sure

--------------------------------
I developed Java based application for JBoss 4.x and 5.x for two years. After that i had to work with Weblogic 11. It wasn't easy to change my mind but now i think, WL much better. More stable, faster and the Admin Console...like a dream..very easy to do settings and monitoring.

So, my choice is Weblogic.

----------------------------------
I would think you guys should consider TC Server, its a variant of Tomcat from Vmware. Might be good in an enterprise environment, since most of them should be able to work it out, as part of there virtualization deals.

http://www.vmware.com/products/vfabric-tcserver/

PS - I have used WLS extensively. For some applications it might be good. For some you really do not need it. So its very much driven by use case, scale etc.

----------------------------------



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude. Did you just totally plagiarized this from stackoverflow verbatim?

Anonymous said...

LOL copy/paste from stackoverflow. I will tell Jeff